Title/academic status: Assistant Professor
Academic field: History of Criminological Theories
Address: 136 Syngrou Av., 176 71 Athens
Research interests: Criminal Justice and Victim, History of Criminological Theories, Violence and Crime.
Member in scientific associations:
Member of Greek Society of Criminology.
Member of European Society of Criminology (2010, 2015).
Member of World Society of Victimology, (2001).
Undergraduate courses: History of Criminological Theories (680), Criminal Justice and Victims’ Treatment (188), Criminological Contribution of International Organizations (765), Special Issues of Violent criminality: Case Studies (Seminar) (195).
Postgraduate courses: Victim’s role in the criminal justice: historical and contemporary approach.
Vasiliki Vlachou is assistant professor at Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences at the Department of Sociology at the Sector of Criminology. She has studied Sociology at Panteion University and made postgraduate studies and Phd in Criminology. The title of her doctoral thesis is «Woman-victim of use of physical violence and criminal justice system» and it had been completed in 2003. Her basic scientific interests are: History of Criminological Theories, Criminal Justice and Victim and Domestic and Violence and Crime.
At Panteion University she has been serving as a lecturer since 2010, and since 2014 she has been at the rank of Assistant Professor at the Sector of Criminology at the Department of Sociology. She teaches criminological courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level. She has written four books and has published articles in recognized scientific journals. She has conducted and participated in criminological and sociological researches.
She is the author of the scientific books: 1. The Treatment of Physical Violence Against Women by the Criminal Justice System (Ellin, 2005), 2. The Evolution of Criminological Theories of Violence and Aggression (Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2008), 3. Historical Review of Criminological Theories during 19th century. The birth of Criminology, (Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2012) and 4. Historical Review of Criminological Theories during 19th century. The birth of Criminology, 2nd Revised Edition, (Nomiki Bibliothiki, 2017).
She has taught in almost all educational levels and has presented announcements in Greek, European and International scientific conferences and workshops. She is a member of the Greek Society of Criminology and has been a member of the European Society of Criminology and World Society of Victimology.
- «Woman-victim of use of physical violence and the criminal justice system» (doctoral thesis), Panteion University, June 2003.
- The Treatment of Physical Violence Against Women by the Criminal Justice System, Ellin Publications, 2005.
- The Evolution of Criminological Theories of Violence and Aggression, Nomiki Bibliothiki publications, 2008.
- 4. Historical Review of Criminological Theories during 19th century. The birth of Criminology, Nomiki Bibliothiki publications, 2012.
- Historical Review of Criminological Theories during 19th century. The birth of Criminology, 2nd Revised Edition, Nomiki Bibliothiki publications, 2017.
Articles in series, journals and volumes
- "The Victim's Contribution to Criminal Liability and Ethical Vindication: Seeking Evident Balances" in the Honorary Volume for Professor Emeritus Ant. Magana titled "Recent Trends in Crime Control Policies", edited by E. Lambropoulou, S. Papamichail, P. Schizas, Papazissis Publishers, 2018.
- "Legislative initiatives dealing with violent crime and defending the fundamental needs of the citizen: points of convergence", Eglimatologia, 2017.
- Writing and analysis of the articles "Victims Compensation", "Domestic Violence", "Victim" and "Victimology", Lexicon of Legal Terminology, Criminal Law & Criminology Androulakis N., Margaritis L., Farsedakis Iak. (Editing), Nomiki Bibliothiki Publications, 2018.
- "The Crisis as an Opportunity to Reveal the Criminal Phenomenon: The role of the victim, the deadlocks and the challenges", in the Honorary Volume for Professor Nestor Kourakis entitled "Crime and Criminal Suppression in a Crisis", M. Gasparinatou (Ed.), Ant. N. Sakkoulas Publications.
- «The Criminologist and the victim: a perpetual relationship of interaction in the contemporary Greek society», in Zarafonitou Chr. (Ed.), «The Profession of Criminologist Today: Content, Challenges and Prospects», Nomiki Bibliothiki Publications, 2012.
- 14/5/2018: Announcement to the International Scientific Symposium on "50 years from May 1968. Europe in search for Democracy, Peace, Rights". Title of announcement: "The criminological dimension of the protection of Human Rights: International initiatives and contemporary concerns".
- 31/3/2018: Announcement to the 6th Congress of the Hellenic Sociological Society on "Sociology and its Public Role in the Age of Transformation of the World". Title of announcement: "Historical research in the study of the contemporary criminal phenomenon: The history of criminological theories as a springboard of thought in the era of rapid social changes".
- 13-14/1/2017: Announcement to the Scientific Conference on "Violent Crime in the 21st Century". Title of announcement: "Legislative initiatives dealing with violent crime and defending the fundamental needs of the citizen: points of convergence".
- 15/12/2016: Announcement at the Symposium on "Aristotle today: State, Law, Economy, Politics". Title of announcement: "Echoes of Aristotle’s optic in the approach of the criminal phenomenon".
- 2-5/9/2015: Announcement at the 15th Annual Conference of the European Society of Criminology held in Porto. Title of announcement: "Contemporary criminal phenomenon in the light of historical development of criminological theories".