Title/academic status: Dr., Assistant Professor
Section: Neohellenic Society
Academic field: History and Sociology of Sports in Greece
Address: 136 Syngrou Av., 17671 Kallithea - Greece
Research interests: a) Sports in Modern Societies, b) Social and Cultural History of Sports 19th-20th century, Greece, c) Social History 19th-20th century, Greece.
Courses: a) Undergraduate:  European History (winter semester),  Economy and Society in 20th century - Greece II (winter semester),  Sociology of Sports (winter semester),  Economy and Society in 20th century - Greece I (spring semester),  The Sociology and History of Crises (spring semester),  Special Issues of History and Sociology of Sports b) Postgraduate: 1. Special Issues of Greek History.
Manolis Choumerianos graduated from the Department of Sociology of the Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences in 1986. He holds a Post-Graduate Degree with a Specialization in History (D.E.A. en Histoire), from the Sorbonne University (Université de Paris I – Panthéon Sorbonne). In 2001 he was conferred the degree of Doctor of Sociology (PhD) in the field of Social History of Greece, from the Department of Sociology of the Panteion University. Dissertation Title: “Agricultural Crisis and Social Protest in the Peloponnese, 1893 – 1905”. His research and teaching interests include sociology and history of sports, social and economic history of Greece (19th-20th century).
- Professionalism and Unionizing in Football (1975-1982). The National Association of Paid Players (ΠΣΑΠ) and the Journal “The Football Player” (in collaboration with Th. Tsoumas), Patras, Opportuna, 2017, pagesς 294 (in Greek).
- Anatomy of the Football Passions (in collaboration with P.Kyprianos), Athens, Dionikos, 2009, pages 313(in Greek).
Articles and chapters in series, journals and volumes
- “Enlightenment, Body and National Identity: physical exercise in the education of the ‘rebellious nation’ (1821-1827)” (and Tsoumas Th., Kiprianos P.), in European Studies in Sports History, vol. 9, 2016, pp. 1-18.
- “Locality and ‘Sports Fans’ Identities: The Fans of Ethnikos of Piraeus, Society and Sports in Greece. Sociological and Historical Approaches (editing John Zaimakis, Eleni Fournaraki), Athens, Alexandreia, 2015, pp. 293-320.
- “Marxist Orthodoxy And Revisionism During The Interwar Period: European Social Democracy And Greek Influence” (and Mavreas K.), περ. Archives of Economic History, Vol. XXV, No. 2, 2013, pp. 39-59.
- “Football Fans: Every Day Routine and Identities”, (with P. Kyprianos), Minutes of the International Conference Sports, Society and Identity, journal Imeros, vol. 5.1, 2005, pp. 193-206.
- “The Illicit Trade of Tobacco in Asia Minor”, dokimes, Epitheorisi Koinonikon Spoudon, vol. 11-12, Spring 2003, pp. 187-215.
- “Agricultural Education and Modernization of the Rural Sector in Greece (1895-1914)”, (with P. Kyprianos), journ. Istor, vol. 13, March 2003, pp. 69-96.
- “Sports, fans and passions. A first reading of the research on sports sociology”, (with P. Kyprianos), I Kini Gnomi stin Ellada , Erevnes-Dimoskopisis (editing Chr. Vernadakis), Athens, Nea Synora – Livanis, 2002, pp. 199-244.
- “Anarchism and Rural Protest in the Late XIX Century”, dokimes, Epitheorisi Koinonikon Spoudon, vol.Β΄ 1994, pp. 55-67.
- 2-4 November 2018, Rethymno, Title of Conference: Methodology Issues in Research in Social Sciences.. Organizer: Department of Sociology, University of Crete. Title of presentation: “Sports in the Communists printed publications during the interwar period (1926-1936)”.
- 27-28 May 2011, Athens, Title of Conference: Sports, Social Practices and Sports Fans Identities in modern Greece.Organizer: Department of Sociology, University of Crete; Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean; Department of Sociology, Panteion University. Title of presentation: ““Unionizing in Football Players and Professionalization of Greek Football (1976-1982)”.
- 1-4 December 2006, Rethymno, Title of Conference: Methodology Issues in Research in Social Sciences. Organizer: Department of Sociology, University of Crete. Title of presentation: “Fan Identities and Local Rivalry; the case of the Fans of Ethnikos of Piraeus”.
- 26-29 May 2004, Athnes, Title of International Conference: Sports, Society and Identity. Organizer: Foundation Of the Hellenic World. Presentation titled “Football Fans: Every Day Routine and Identities” (in collaboration with P. Kyprianos).
- 12-16 June 2003, Bad Herrenalb, Germany, Title of Europeam International Conference: Vertical Markets and Cooperative Hierarchies: The Role of Cooperatives in the International Agri-Food Industry. Presentation titled “Greek Rural Co-Operatives: Historical Developments, Current Problems and Future Perspectives” (in collaboration with V. Patronis and K. Mavreas).