Title/academic status: PhD, Prof. of Criminology
Section: General Sociology
Academic field: Criminology, Social and crime control
Phone: +30 210 9201804
Address: 136, Syngrou Ave., GR-17671 Kallithea/Attiki, C-Building
Research interests: Social control and security (public, private); corruption; mass media (violence and crime); prison policy, sentencing, sociology of prison; sociology of criminal law (law making, implementation, effectiveness); ecology of crime, illegal markets; police and policing; terrorism and social violence.
Member in scientific associations: Member of the editorial board of the Greek journals Criminology and The Art of Crime, of the Sociological Journal Vestnik (University of St. Petersburg) and associate editor of the Journal of Penal Law and Criminology (Istanbul University - Faculty of Law, Criminal Law and Criminology Research and Practice Center-Istanbul University Press).
Undergraduate Social and Crime Control; Sociology of Criminal Law; Crime Theory: Control Theories and Theories of Risk, Introduction to Criminology II.
Postgraduate/Graduate Epistemological Issues of Criminology.
Primary and Secondary High School in Athens. LLM Law School of the University of Athens. Postgraduate studies at the Law School of the University of Bielefeld, Germany. PhD from the Faculty of Law of the University of Freiburg Germany in Criminology: Sociology of prison and prison policy. Research associate of the criminology research group of the Max-Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law in Freiburg, Germany. Participation in European research programs. Visiting Fellow of the University of Cambridge. Elected member of the ESC Board (2018-2021); elected representative of the Sociology Department at the Senate of Panteion University in the past and member of the Research Committee of the University (2017--).
- Public-private partnerships and forms of co- and outsourcing of prisons. International and European experience, Papasissis, Athens 2020.
- Public vices - Private virtues? Corruption and its discourse in Greece, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken 2013.
- Sociology of criminal law and the institutions of crime control, I. Sideris, Athens 2013.
- Drug policies in Europe, Nomiki Vivliothiki, Athens 2002.
- Internal security and control society, Kritiki, Athens 2001.
- Social and crime control, Papasissis, Athens 1994.
Articles in series, journals and volumes
- “Police: ‘The enemy among us’ and the role of criminology”, Poinika Chronika 69 (3) 2019: 161-171.
- “Women in prison in Greece”, Women in prison. The Bangkok Rules and beyond, P.H. van Kempen & M. Krabbe (eds.), International Penal and Penitentiary Foundation 46, Intersentia, Cambridge 2017: 417-478.
- “The appearances and realities of corruption in Greece: The cases of MAYO and Siemens AG”, The Routledge International Handbook of the Crimes of the Powerful, Gregg Barak (εκδ.), Routledge, Abingdon Oxon, New York 2015: 427-440.
- «Community measures to deal with high risk offenders at the periphery of the justice system», Prevention of reoffending. The value of rehabilitation and the management of high risk offenders, P.H. van Kempen & W. Young (εκδ.), Intersentia, Cambridge/UK, Mortsel/B 2014: 263-282.
- “Illegal markets in a collapsing economy”, Getting by or Getting Rich? The Formal, Informal and Criminal Economy in a Globalized World, P. Saitta, J. Shapland & A. Verhage (eds.), Eleven International, den Haag, 2013: 61-93.
- «Myths and realities about corruption in public administration and its discourse in Greece», Amsterdam Law Forum 4 (3) 2012: 77-96 (DOI: 10.37974/ALF.231).
- “Citizens’ safety, business trust and Greek Police”, International Review of Administrative Sciences (IRAS) 70 (2004): 89–110. First Published March 1, 2004 (DOI: 10.1177/0020852304041233).
- • Recent trends in crime control policies, Honorary Volume for Emeritus Prof. A. Magganas, coedited with S. Papamichail & P. Schizas, Papazissis, Athens 2018.
Conference/meeting announcements (indicatively)
Participation in several international, European and national workshops, seminars, etc. Keynote speaker in several international and European workshops, seminars and congresses, e.g. Scenario thinking and illegal markets in Adria and Balkans, ProAdria - Center for research, crime analysis and security for Europe, Italy; Political violence and terrorism, GERN - CNRS/ France & Posthumuus Institute, Erasmus University, Rotterdam/The Netherlands; Corruption, EUCPN, Athens; Prison Policy, International Penal and Penitentiary Foundation, Lausanne/CH; CEPOL, European Police Academy; Internationalisation of crime and international police cooperation, American Society of Public Administration (ASPA)/Tennessee Chapter - Institute of Government, USA, etc.
Working groups (indicatively)
Member of the Central Scientific Board of Correctional Institutions (ΚΕSF)/Greece (Ministry of Justice/of Citizen Protection; 1996-2004, 2019-). Member of the law making committee for the Reform of Drug legislation (Ministry of Justice 2010-12). Member of the Committee for the education of juvenile prisoners/Greece (Ministry of Education and Culture).